Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The field is slowly turning green.

We're now about 2 1/2 weeks post-planting with most of my amendments applied.  We've had torrential rains  on multiple occasions which has caused some erosion, but the seed seems to have stayed put for the most part and is germinating and growing nicely. 

The oats are about 3-4 inches and the alfalfa now stands at a little under 1 inch.  At this point I can't distinguish between the oats the orchard grass.  Hopefully they've both germinated and sprouted and are just growing at the same rates, making it hard to tell them apart.  I'm hoping I'll be able to tell the difference in the next week or two.

As I mentioned in my prior post we had a lot of problems with the seeder.  I'll be getting some pictures to post the striping effect created by the inconstency of the seeder.  All in all though I'd have to say that I'm pleased with the results so far.  There is  a fair amount of weed emergence which causes some concern.  My understanding is that the oats, grass and alfalfa will eventually thrive and choke the weeds out as a result of the soil amendments we're using.

I'm sure looking forward to seeing the oats filling in and creating that flowing field of sage colored plants. 

No comments:

Post a Comment